Sunday 3 June 2012

Teenagers and critters ...

So, I was sitting in the car the other day waiting for my husband Piers (it's usually the other way around) and came across this text message sent a few a weeks ago, using my phone, to Piers from my daughter Billie:


'In the car as mother has forgotten me as she talks to a friend just letting you know I love you one last time before I die of boredom ...'   Teenagers!!


As an update to my last post, clearly I'm not the only one who has had critter issues, judging by your comments.  Anvil Artifacts' squirrels sounded like they were bowling in her attic. Actually, it's entirely possible they were as I gather squirrels do like to bowl!






Chelsea's cat has taken control of a naughty possum at her parents house. I remember my in-laws had a resident possum in their garage for a little while, although all it seemed to do is sleep.    Our possum has been very quiet lately, I hope it's okay.  At the end of the day, much as it's a nuisance I agree with Lucie, it is kinda sweet.


Jewelry wise I've been on a bit of an earring and bangle kick lately.  







A few of these pieces have already sold so I must be doing something right.  


The white/pink bangle stack (top right) and copper wrapped set (bottom left) are in my madeit shop.  This is a site for Australian artisans a little bit like, but nowhere near as sophisticated, as etsy. I thought I'd give it a try and am getting lots of views but no sales as yet.    I know there was a huge kerfuffle when etsy switched it's default search to relevancy rather than recency,  but personally I think it's better. madeit uses recency and this, together with the fact that it's tagging system is non-existent, means that you tend to get lots of looks when you first list and then it dies off to nothing as you drop off the first few pages.    My media consultant (aka daughter Billie) encouraged me to try madeit.  She's also helping me with my facebook page - an example of teenagers using their powers for good rather than evil.  


I'm  working on a wrist cuff at the moment.  I haven't made one of these for ages as they are quite time intensive.  But, it's cold and dreary here so sitting in front of the fire with my box of textiles and trims is quite appealing.


'til next time





8 comments:

  1. Bowling squirrels!! In France squirrels are not considered as nuisance because there are not so many...
    Your set of bangles are somptuous! Love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some of the parks here in Victoria they have put anti possum barriers on some of the trees because they are becoming a real pest. It's hard to think of something that sweet looking being considered such a pest.

      Delete
  2. Love those bangles and earrings, great detailing. I think with Etsy it's how to get seen consistently and I've still not worked that one out. And I've yet to find anyone sharing the real secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using etsy search ads at the moment. Not convinced it actually increases sales but may have increased traffic a little.

      Delete
  3. "Must be doing something right?" I'll say! Your new work is wonderful! So finally the truth is out... squirrels DO bowl! They sound like elephants when they run across our roof to raid the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melinda. You can type anything into a google image search and get a result - the wonders of modern technology.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your teenager survived her bad case of boredom to use her powers another day. but are you absolutely sure she's using them for good? she might be setting your facebook page up in all sorts of interesting and surprising ways. :)
    yes, you're definately doing something right! great new work.
    I think those bowling squirrels in Florida were having a gang initiation or it might have been a hazing prank or something. they were so out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's pretty responsible but I definitely don't give her free reign. Mostly she just gives me useful advice about what cover shots to use and, how did she put it, 'maximize the potential of my Facebook page'. I told her that when I was her age we didn't have a computer let alone the internet and had to maximize our potential in other ways.

      Delete